Based on Dr. Judith Orloff’s bestselling books The Empath’s Survival Guide, The Power of Surrender, Emotional Freedom, Positive Energy, Second Sight & Guide to Intuitive Healing
1. Are You an Empath? Self Assessment Test
To determine how empathic you are take the following 20 question self assessment, answering ‘mostly yes’ or ‘mostly no’ to each question.
Empath Self Assessment
1. Have I’ve been labeled as “overly sensitive,” shy, or introverted?
2. Do I frequently get overwhelmed or anxious?
3. Do arguments or yelling make me ill?
4. Do I often feel like I don’t fit in?
5. Am I drained by crowds and need alone time to revive myself?
6. Am I over stimulated by noise, odors, or non-stop talkers?
7. Do I have chemical sensitivities or can’t tolerate scratchy clothes?
8. Do I prefer taking my own car places so I can leave early if I need to?
9. Do I overeat to cope with stress?
10. Am I afraid of becoming suffocated by intimate relationships?
11. Do I startle easily?
12. Do I react strongly to caffeine or medications?
13. Do I have a low pain threshold?
14. Do I tend to socially isolate?
15. Do I absorb other people’s stress, emotions, or symptoms?
16. Am I overwhelmed by multitasking and prefer doing one thing at a time?
17. Do I replenish myself in nature?
18. Do I need a long time to recuperate after being with difficult people or energy vampires?
19. Do I feel better in small cities or the country than large cities?
20. Do I prefer one-to-one interactions or small groups rather than large gatherings?
To calculate your results:
- If you answered yes to one to five questions, you’re at least partially an empath.
- Responding yes to six to ten questions means you have moderate empathic tendencies.
- Responding yes to eleven to fifteen means you have strong empathic tendencies.
- Answering yes to more than fifteen questions means that you are a full blown empath.
To learn more about being an empath and strategies on how to stay grounded and centered purchase Dr Orloff’s book, The Empath’s Survival Guide: Life Strategies for Sensitive People
2. Are You a Relationship Empath?
In a relationship do you experience everything, pleasure and pain, sometimes to an extreme?
|Have I been labeled as overly sensitive?||Yes||No|
|Am I afraid of getting engulfed or losing my identity in intimate relationships?||Yes||No|
|Do I prefer taking my own car places so I can leave when I please?||Yes||No|
|Do I get drained by too much togetherness and require time alone to refuel?||Yes||No|
|Do I sometimes prefer sleeping alone?||Yes||No|
|When my partner and I travel do I prefer adjoining rooms?||Yes||No|
|Do I tend to take on by my partner’s stress or physical symptoms?||Yes||No|
|Do I feel overwhelmed by noise, smells, crowds, or excessive talking?||Yes||No|
To calculate your results:
- If you answered yes to one to three of these questions you’re at least part relationship empath.
- Responding yes to four to six questions indicates strong empathic tendencies with partners.
- If you answered yes to seven or eight questions you are a certified relationship empath.
This quiz is from The Empath’s Survival Guide by Judith Orloff MD
3. Are You Emotionally Free?
This test will help you assess your level of emotional freedom at this time.
Choose the option that most corresponds to how seldom or often you experience these reactions.
|Not True||Sometimes True||Mostly True|
|1. If I’m angry with someone, I’ll breathe and center myself before I react.||0||1||2|
|2. When I’m filled with self-doubt or fear I treat myself lovingly.||0||1||2|
|3. When stuck in traffic or if something doesn’t happen on my timetable, I have patience.||0||1||2|
|4. After a hard day, I focus on what I’m grateful for rather than beating myself up for what has gone wrong.||0||1||2|
|5. I rarely get snippy or cop an attitude if people frustrate me.||0||1||2|
|6. I feel connected to a sense of spirituality, however I define it.||0||1||2|
|7. I check in with my intuition--my gut feelings--when making choices.||0||1||2|
|8. If I’m blamed for something, I rarely lash out and say things I regret.||0||1||2|
|9. I fall asleep quickly and don’t worry about tomorrow’s “to-do” list.||0||1||2|
|10. If my heart gets broken I don’t give up on love.||0||1||2|
|11. I’m a positive person, and don’t make small problems into big ones.||0||1||2|
|12. I don’t seek revenge if someone treats me poorly.||0||1||2|
|13. I’m not jealous of other people’s success if it surpasses mine.||0||1||2|
|14. I quickly let go of negative emotions and don’t brood on them||0||1||2|
|15. I’m not easily crushed by disappointments.||0||1||2|
|16. I don’t compare myself to others.||0||1||2|
|17. I have empathy for others but I don’t become their therapist or get drained by their emotional pain.||0||1||2|
|18. I live in the Now, rather than dwelling on the past or future||0||1||2|
|19. I feel happy with my life, not that it’s just passing me by.||0||1||2|
|20. I am good at setting limits with people who drain my energy.||0||1||2|
How To Interpret This Test
To calculate your emotional freedom score, total the numbers corresponding to your responses.
- A score of 30-40 suggests that you’re experiencing a considerable level of emotional freedom in your life.
- A score of 15-29 suggests a moderate level.
- A score of 14 or below suggests a beginning level.
- A zero score (and it takes courage to admit that) indicates you haven’t found emotional freedom yet, but the good news is that you can start discovering it now!
Whatever your score, be compassionate when you identify areas you’d like to improve. Realize that we all have a ways to go. Emotional freedom isn’t some place you arrive at and just stay there. It’s an ongoing blossoming.
This quiz is excerpted from Chapter 1 of Emotional Freedom by Judith Orloff MD
4. Do You Listen to Your Inner Voice?
Are you intuitive? This quiz will help you assess how much you listen to your inner intuitive voice at this time.
|1. Do you believe your inner voice gives you good advice?||2||1||0|
|2. Will you get a second opinion if your doctor doesn't offer a diagnosis or treatment that intuitively feels right?||2||1||0|
|3. Do you pay attention to your body’s early warning signs such as fatigue or unexplainable symptoms to take care of your health?||2||1||0|
|4. In your career, do you act on what moves and inspires you rather than only making decisions by what seems logical on paper?||2||1||0|
|5. Do you "listen to the goosebumps" (as Quincy Jones puts it) as a sign to go ahead when you're making a decision about a project or career move?||2||1||0|
|6. If you’re looking for work, do you check in with your intuition for guidance?||2||1||0|
|7. Do you pay attention to people's body language when you meet them?||2||1||0|
|8. Do you listen to your body's signals and stay away from people who drain you?||2||1||0|
|9. If you're crossing your arms and moving away from someone at a party, do you listen to the discomfort your body language is communicating?||2||1||0|
|10. If you're sexually attracted to someone but your inner voice says "beware," do you heed the warning and take it slow?||2||1||0|
|11. When arguing with your partner, do you take a breath and tune into your intuition about how to reach him or her before saying something you'll regret?||2||1||0|
|12. If all your friends are saying "this guy/girl is great for you" but your intuition says he/she isn't right can you trust yourself?||2||1||0|
|13. Do you listen to intuitive messages in dreams?||2||1||0|
|14. Do you listen to your "ah-ha" feelings even if they don't fit your picture of how things should be?||2||1||0|
|15. Are you spontaneous rather than having to plan everything?||2||1||0|
How to Interpret this Quiz
To calculate your ability to listen to your inner voice score, total the numbers corresponding to your responses.
- A score of 20-30 suggests that you have a considerable aptitude to trust your intuition.
- A score of 10-19 suggests a moderate level.
- A score of 9 or below suggests a beginning level.
- A zero score indicates that you don’t regularly listen to your intuition yet, but the good news is that you can begin now to tap into this empowering resource!
Whatever your score, this quiz will help you develop and listen to your inner voice. You’ll identify your strengths and areas you’d like to improve. Developing intuition is an exciting process. Realize that we all have a ways to go. The more you listen to your intuition, the more it will improve.
This quiz is based on Guide to Intuitive Healing: Five Steps to Physical, Emotional, and Sexual Wellness (Three Rivers Press) by Judith Orloff MD
5. Are You In A Relationship With A Narcissist?
Narcissists have a grandiose sense of self-importance and entitlement, crave admiration and attention.
|1. Does the person act as if life revolves around him or her?||Yes||No|
|2. Do I have to compliment him or her to get his or her attention or approval?||Yes||No|
|3. Does he or she constantly steer the conversation back to himself/herself?||Yes||No|
|4. Does he or she downplay my feelings or interests?||Yes||No|
|5. If I disagree, does he or she become cold or withholding?||Yes||No|
How to interpret this quiz
- If you had 0 yeses – It’s unlikely that you’re involved with a narcissist
- If you had 1 yes – Even answering yes to one question is a red flag indicating potential narcissism. It is healthy to address the issue with the person–for instance not feeling listened to–in order to resolve it. In a relationship it’s important that you feel heard and respected.
- If you had 2 yeses – This person has some narcissistic tendencies. Your emotional freedom is somewhat compromised by his or her self-centeredness.
- If you had 3 yeses – You are in a relationship with someone who has moderate narcissistic tendencies. This starts to take a toll on your intimacy. Beware of trying to win their love and attention or making your self-worth dependent on them.”,
- If you had 4 yeses – You are in a relationship with someone with definite narcissistic traits. Everything is “all about them.” Keep your expectations realistic. Enjoy their good qualities, but look for your nurturing from people who can reciprocate.”,
- If you had 5 yeses – You are in a relationship with a narcissist. Do not marry this person! He or she has a limited capacity for empathy and unconditional love.
If the relationship is unavoidable, lower your expectations. To successfully communicate, you must show how something will be to their benefit, as tedious as that ego stroking is.
This quiz is excerpted from Emotional Freedom by Judith Orloff MD
6. Are You An Emotional Vampire?
In all successful relationships it’s vital to honestly examine your behavior and be willing to discuss it and change.
|1. Do people avoid you or glaze over during a conversation?||Yes||No|
|2. Are you self-obsessed?||Yes||No|
|3. Are you often negative?||Yes||No|
|4. Do you gossip or bad-mouth people?||Yes||No|
|5. Are you critical or controlling?||Yes||No|
|6. Are you a drama queen or king?||Yes||No|
|7. Do you corner people and tell them your life's story?||Yes||No|
|8. Are an emotional black hole, but won’t get help?||Yes||No|
How to interpret this quiz
- If you had 0 yeses – You have positive energy much of the time and can increasingly treat yourself with kindness.
- If you had 1 yes – You are a positive person who is occasionally negative. Just be aware of when comes in and try to change the behavior.
- If you had 2 yeses – Your energy is getting more vibrant and alive as you begin to set better boundaries with negative people.
- If you had 3 yeses – Positive energy is building and you’re making room for more joy.
- If you had 4 yeses – You’re a combination of positive and negative. You challenge now is to watch for draining behaviors and change the
- If you had 5 yeses – Sometimes you are positive, though negativity still plays a significant role in your life.
- If you had 6 yeses – Your behavior can be draining, but you’re ready to learn how to be more positive in your life even if you don’t access this attitude easily now.
- If you had 7 yeses – You tend to be negative with people and can be hard on yourself and others. It’s time to be kinder to yourself and others. Stay open to this.
- If you had 8 yeses – A positive attitude towards people is hard to come by at this point, but you can always start to build it NOW!
This quiz is excerpted from Emotional Freedom by Judith Orloff MD