Question: How can empaths best protect themselves during a time of global crisis?
Answer: We are going through an extremely challenging time in our world. Empaths are particularly vulnerable to overwhelm, exhaustion and anxiety. Many of my empath patients are suffering tremendously from the massive suffering and fear that is manifesting in the world. Here are a few tips to practice to decrease your stress level and find your center, even in the midst of uncertainty and chaos.
- Practice deep breathing to exhale stress
- Limit exposure to news
- Do not let others feed your panic. Even though we are going through a scary time now, panic is not the key to any door. When you feel panic, breathe deeply, meditate for a few minutes to center yourself, and focus on feeling safe in the now.
- If you notice yourself absorbing the stress or pain of others, take some alone time to regroup and replenish yourself.
- Do not get into victim mode. Try to see the lessons you can learn from chaos and crises rather than feeling only victimized.
- Stay in the Now. The only way to get through this is a day at a time. Try to stop yourself when you mind catastrophizes about the future.
Many empaths are used to socially distancing as part of their everyday lives so it may take less getting used to than others experience. Earth is not a realm just of sweetness and light. It has great darkness here, and also great suffering. Our intention, as sensitive people, is to not become martyrs and victims, but to try to summon all the light possible to increase the light in the world and overcome the darkness with love. This requires faith, and a strong belief in love—we can can all do it together.
Judith Orloff, MD is the New York Times best-selling author of The Empath’s Survival Guide: Life Strategies for Sensitive People. Her new book Thriving as an Empath offers daily self-care tools for sensitive people along with its companion The Empath’s Empowerment Journal. Dr. Orloff is a psychiatrist, an empath, and is on the UCLA Psychiatric Clinical Faculty. She synthesizes the pearls of traditional medicine with cutting edge knowledge of intuition, energy, and spirituality. Dr. Orloff also specializes in treating empaths and highly sensitive people in her private practice. Dr. Orloff’s work has been featured on The Today Show, CNN, Oprah Magazine, the New York Times and USA Today. Dr. Orloff has spoken at Google-LA and has a TEDX talk. Her other books are Emotional Freedom, The Power of Surrender, Second Sight, Positive Energy, and Guide to Intuitive Healing. Explore more information about her Empath Support Online course and speaking schedule on www.drjudithorloff.com.